location  |  hours  |  directory  |  contact us An official County of Muskegon website
Home >> Public Advisories
Public Advisories


Zika Virus in Michigan

Zika virus illness in healthy people is generally mild. The most common symptoms of Zika are fever, rash, joint pain, or conjunctivitis (red eyes). Other common symptoms include muscle pain and headache. While the symptoms are not considered severe, the virus can cause birth defects in fetuses of pregnant women exposed to the virus. There is no medicine to treat Zika virus infection.


Michigan is considered 'low risk' for mosquito transmission of Zika because the mosquitoes that spread the disease have not been found in the state. The primary risk of transmission in Michigan is from traveling to infected areas, or through sexual transmission with a male partner returning from an area with Zika activity.


Visit the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services website for up-to-date Zika information.


Lead Hazard Reduction Program

The Lead Hazard Reduction Program is now part of the Muskegon County Land Bank Authority and located in the Muskegon County Treasurer's Office at 173 E Apple Ave in Muskegon. You can still reach the program by calling (231) 724-1259.


Influenza Activity

We receive weekly reports of how many children are out sick from school or daycare with flu-like illness as well as reports of confirmed cases of flu from laboratories and doctor's offices. Flu activity graphs are available on our website and updated weekly during the flu season.


If you haven't received a flu vaccination yet, vaccine is still available. Visit your doctor's office, pharmacy or call our office at 724-1220 for an appointment.


Immunization Waivers

In December 2014, the Joint Committee on Administrative Rules approved a new educational requirement for Michigan parents opting their children out of getting vaccinated before entering school.


The new rule allows parents/guardians to have the opportunity to speak with an immunization nurse from their local health department about their concerns and questions regarding immunizations prior to the nonmedical waiver being signed.


Any parent/guardian who wants to claim a nonmedical waiver will need to receive education regarding the benefits of vaccination and the risks of disease from a county health department before obtaining the certified nonmedical waiver form through the Local Health Department. The new rule requires the use of the State of Michigan nonmedical waiver form dated January 1 of the current year. 


Learn more at www.michigan.gov/immunize or call us at (231) 724-1220 to schedule an appointment with one of our public health nurses.


Restaurant Inspection Results

You can check on how your favorite restaurants are doing with their inspections by visiting our inspection results page. Every licensed restaurant is inspected at least twice a year. For grocery store and other retailer inspection results, visit https://secure1.state.mi.us/misafe/Default.aspx.