location  |  hours  |  directory  |  contact us An official County of Muskegon website
Home >> Services >> Body Art Facility Licensing
Body Art Facility Licensing

Michigan law requires tattoo and body art providers to be licensed by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services. The law aims to reduce the spread of diseases such as Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and HIV. These viruses can be dangerous. They can make you sick and they can possibly make your family sick, if they are exposed. Some of these diseases are permanent and can be fatal. Keeping a clean shop and using safe work practices, ensures a safe and professional atmosphere for artists and clients.


To learn more about Body Art Facility Licensure in Michigan, go to www.michigan.gov/bodyart.


List of licensed body art facilities in Michigan


Information for Artists


Frequently Asked Questions

Links to Body Art Facility Inspection Request forms:

           Body Art Facility Inspection Request Form

           Body Art Temporary Facility Inspection Request Form


  • How much does it cost to be a State of Michigan licensed Body Art Facility in Muskegon County?

In order to be a licensed Body Art Facility in Michigan, you must pay a license fee to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) AND an inspection fee to Public Health - Muskegon County annually.


For MDHHS License Application and Fees, click here.


Public Health - Muskegon County Inspection Fees  
Routine Inspection (Annual or New Applications before July 1) $150

Routine Inspection (New Applications on or after July 1)

$  80


Plan Review (includes pre-opening inspection) $225
Temporary License Inspection-Independent Unit (14 days or less) $  60
Temporary License Inspection-Shared Resource Event (14 days or less) $  30


  • How long is a Michigan Body Art Facility License good for?

Michigan Body Art Licenses are good for 1 calendar year and expire on December 31. License renewal fees must be paid to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services by December 1 in order to not be subject to a late fee.


  • What are the rules for Body Art Facilities in the State of Michigan?

Requirements for Body Art Facilities

Public Act 375 of 2010


  • Where can I get my Michigan Medical Waste Producer Registration?

Medical Waste Requirements


For more information, including the application for a license, go to www.michigan.gov/bodyart.


Information for People Getting Body Art Procedures


Frequently Asked Questions


  • What are some things I should ask my artist to ensure my safety?

Ask your artist if they use an autoclave or if they use all disposable equipment. If they use an autoclave, you can ask to see the spore testing results to ensure the autoclave is tested monthly and is working properly. If the body artist says they use all disposable equipment, make sure they open new disposable body art equipment for your procedure. You can also view the Requirements for Body Art Facilities prior to having work done.


  • If I have a complaint regarding my body art experience who should I notify?

All licensed body art facilities are required to post the Notice for Filing Complaints. Complaints against a body art facility related to the Requirements for Body Art Facilities may be filed with the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.


  • My tattoo/piercing doesn't look like it is healing correctly, what should I do?

    If you have any concerns regarding how your body art is healing, it is always wise to seek appropriate medical attention. If you have simple questions regarding aftercare or the healing process, you can always see your body artist and they should be able to answer any questions.

For more information for consumers, go to www.michigan.gov/bodyart.