The Communicable Disease program, is responsible for investigating occurrences of animal bites in Muskegon County that involve human contact.
Michigan law requires that any person who has knowledge of an animal bite where rabies is suspected shall, within 24 hours of the biting incident, report the bite to the appropriate local health department and to the local health department where the bite occurred.
The report shall include all of the following information:
- Animal species inflicting the bite.
- Animal owner's name, address, and telephone number.
- Vaccination status of the animal.
- Date and location of the biting incident.
- Name, address, and telephone number of the individual bitten.
- Site of the bite on the body.
- Name of the reporter of the bite.
To report an animal bite that occurred in Muskegon County, please call (231) 724-4532.
Animal Bite Reporting Form
Michigan's Communicable Disease Rules
Other Useful Links
Bats & Rabies